Sunday, November 16, 2008

Session 9

A. See the afterthought at the end of Session 8 post regarding embedding a slideshow into a blog post.

B. Final project addition: your project should address standards found in the latest version of the National Educational Technology Standards for teachers and/or students.

C. Simulations
Computer simulations can represent real or imaginary situations. They allow users to study or try things that would be difficult or impossible to do in real life.
  1. Classroom, Inc.  demo... offline, computer based programs designed to recreate a real-world work experience. 
  2. Web-based simulations to explore:




1 comment:

Joyce Careswell Gaglione said...

Phil, in the late 1980s or around 1990, I used to have a PC game called "Life and Death." I don't know if you've heard of this, but it was a hospital/emergency surgery simulation game in which the player had to go through a tutorial course before being allowed to see patients.

Then, just like the simulation we viewed in class today, the player has to read the chart, examine the patient and listen for complaints while palpating areas, and then schedule the surgery.

Believe it or not, during the surgery, there's a sidebar in which the player/surgeon has to quickly monitor and adjust three-to-four intravenous medications.

I had mastered appendectomies, but I stunk at saving patients with aneurisms and killed off quite a few because I was just too slow!

At the end, the receptionist stops the player and tells him or her to go and see the head of surgery, ultimately to be scolded mercilessly and sent back to medical school.

--Joyce